Saturday, December 1, 2007

Rotarians as political candidates

So Carl DeMaio is running for city council. He's a member of my club, and an email went out earlier this week inviting everyone to come to a "Get to know the candidate" forum. While I was told that RI encourages Rotarians to be familiar with the political scene in their community (which I agree with), I find it hard to believe that anyone running for any office won't use any public forum as a way of generating money.

All of which suggests the Rotary list is being used to raise money for a political candidate. And whether or not I agree with him aside, the fact is Rotary is supposed to be a non-partisan organization. By this action, I believe our club is endorsing a candidate who happens to be a member of our club.

It's a slippery slope from this to RI endorsing a presidential candidate who just happens to be a Rotarian. Bad move on my club's leadership, I think.

No comments: