Sunday, April 24, 2011

Now Back From RYLA





So I spent the past weekend at RYLA - the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards. Truly an educational experience on many levels as I spent 50 hours effectively tethered to nine high school juniors, none of whom knew me or each other prior to beginning the weekend. My group was made up of Alexis Jenkins, George Matta, Chalisa Sims, Reese Russell, Ali Cardenas, Emilie Myers, Maddie Wilson, Tanya Villalpando and Ben Esquivel.
We spent several in-depth hours talking about serious issues, had inspirational speakers like Garry Ridge (WD-40), above, and Jim Brogan, and got to know each other...and ourselves...a bit better.



All this at a campground in beautiful Idylwwild, CA. It was a stereotypical campground


where the food was just so-so, the accomodations drafty and uncomfortable, and the s'mores addictive. And while there were things I would have suggested be done differently, all in all I found the experience to rate 8 on a scale of 10.


If the kids got as much from it as I did, the experience will definitely serve them well.


And in case you're wondering, yes, I would do it again.





























































No comments: